We may earn money when you click our links. Learn More. X

Best Criminology Courses in the US

Home Forums Personal Security Best Criminology Courses in the US

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  security43 7 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Maru Quevedo
    Keymaster

I guess I am really just after some career and or education (college really) advice. I am right now a sophomore in high school and trying to think about what path I want to take when I hit college and then a career after that. After doing a lot of thinking and researching, I believe that I am most interested in doing something within the area of criminology.

I know that there are a lot of specialties in this field, but I wonder if anyone out there can give me some information. I want to know what the top schools are in terms of criminology programs.

While I do live in the south, it is not really a big deal to me where the school is so much. I have pretty decent grades, and did great on my PSAT’s, so I am very hopeful of finding a good scholarship and aid to help pay for school. Plus, I intend on doing some work as well so that the whole burden is not placed on my parents. So, where do people think I should focus my attention on, in terms of colleges with great criminology programs?

Right now, I am thinking something along the lines of criminal psychology or maybe forensics.

• #1350 Reply

security43

I want to start out by saying that it seems like you have a great head on your shoulders. Wanting to actually study hard and get good grades and then being willing to work so that you are shoulder a good part of the burden of paying for school is very admirable. This is something we do not see nearly enough of in the youth of today.

US News and World Report (I think) ran a study a while back where they actually ranked some of the top criminal justice and criminology college programs across the country. These might have been graduate programs, but I have heard great things about all the schools that made this list. Some of the top ones were the University of Maryland, SUNY—Albany, University of Cincinnati and I think Penn State was up there as well.

The college that you obtain your degree from might mean quite a bit or almost nothing. The actual path you decide to take in criminology will really determine this. Since you are strongly considering criminal psychology and forensics, I would imagine that the degree will matter quite a bit. So, it is my strong recommendation that you try and go to one of the schools on that short list above. Even if you later change your mind and decide to go into a field which requires less of an academic background, having too much in your favor will certainly not hurt you!

As with any college program, focus and study hard. Excel to the best of your ability. Take advantage of any internship and other opportunities to gain some real world experience within your field. This will put you far ahead of the competition.

Reply To: Best Criminology Courses in the US
Your information:

Was this article helpful?

Thank you for your feedback!

Tell us how we can make your experience better next time.

Comments are closed.

We use cookies to enhance your website experience. By continuing to use our site you agree to the use of cookies in accordance with our policy. Click for more information to find out what cookies we use, what they do and how you can disable them.