We may earn money when you click our links. Learn More. X

DIY alarm sensor sticky pads

Home Forums Home Security Security Systems DIY alarm sensor sticky pads

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  a seeker of security 7 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

John Willam
    Participant

I’m a big fan of my FrontPoint security system, but I’m noticing that the “sticky pads” that can be used to attach the sensors to the walls don’t last forever. I know it’s probably more prudent to nail the sensor in, put it on a shelf, or something, but since these sticky pads are included, you’d figure they’d plan ahead as far as their usability and reliability is concerned.

How about changing those out with the poster type self-adhering things you can use to hang up giant wall posters? Those are super durable and should be able to handle a little motion sensor (and then my alarm system won’t go off when a motion sensor comes crashing to the floor while I’m on vacation, lol!).

• #1520 Reply

a seeker of security

I couldn't agree more.

• #1521 Reply

a seeker of security

I just bought some 3M poster strips (small size). I figure if they can handle the weight of a poster, they should be able to handle my little motion sensors. I'll post back once I switch the pads out.

• #1522 Reply

a seeker of security

Here's another vote for the poster strips – they're not only super strong (if they can hold the weight of a heavy poster they can easily hold your little motion sensor for many years), but they're super thin, so you can hide them easily and it will appear as if your motion sensor is literally attached to the walls.

Since I'm a fan of hiding wires, etc. and making things look clean and seamless, finding these poster strips was a huge plus when it came to setting up my home alarm system.

• #1523 Reply

a seeker of security

Most of the new modern home security alarm systems are a marvel of technology. They now come in essentially a plug and play format. It is actually very easy to install such a system on your own. Your simple DIY system should come with a number of sensors. These are like motion detectors, but they can include a number of additional features, including being able to detect smoke and water. You would simply take these sensors and place them wherever you wish.

Just make sure to have some sticky pads in order to connect the sensors. This is the easiest way to install all of your sensors very quickly and easily. The sensors themselves will already be programmed, so there is nothing else needed other than putting up the box or control panel and contacting the alarm and monitoring company to turn it on. Additionally, if you ever decide to move or upgrade the system, simply remove the sensors from the sticky pads (carefully!) and then buy some more pads in order to connect in a different room or even move to a different home.

This sticky pad enables you to install sensors in almost any place that you could imagine. This will play a big part in terms of being able to more easily customize a system. For example, if you have small children it may be one of your goals to keep them out of certain cabinets or other areas of your home where they could easily get hurt. There is a simple solution to this problem. Just take a motion sensor with an attached alarm and connect it to the cupboard or other are using one of the DIY alarm sensor sticky pads.

The same theory can work for a wide variety of goals and purposes. Maybe you would like to be alerted whenever a car pulls into your driveway? No problem. Include a couple motion sensors along the the sides of the driveway. Now whenever someone pulls in, an alarm will sound inside your home. You will know of their presence ahead of time.

Personally, I would consider a number of additional uses for such a DIY security system. I would like to build a legitimate perimeter all the way around my home, This would entail creative positioning of a number of motion detectors around the outside. I would also try to hide these using the natural shrubbery and foliage. There would be no point in having potential burglars or other criminals know that they are being watched! Another idea I have is to put a number of these motion sensor attached with the DIY sticky pads to my garage. I want to know the second someone enters any part of my house.

The best thing about these sticky pads is just how versatile they are. They can literally be placed anywhere. Many people have them up on second and even third story windows. They are very cheap and will last a long time.

• #1524 Reply

a seeker of security

Just ordered some new sensors to compliment my existing FrontPoint system, and I see that not only do they now come with the new "poster strip" style sticky pads (that are thinner and much stronger), but they are pre-adhered so all I need to do is peel once and stick them on the wall. Sweet!

• #1518 Reply

I have to say, I used to be a huge proponent of the classic hardwired systems, and was skeptical of the wireless "sticky pad" type security systems. But now that I've owned one myself and have had to move it from home to home, I have to say that the  flexibility and ease-of-use of the sticky pads is hard to beat. 

Another advantage that no one seems to have pointed out is that you can place the sensors anywhere, which gives you a greater template to work with, and a layout configuration that a burglar that is adept at disabling hardwired systems may not anticipate.

• #1519 Reply

alarm guy

The wireless motion detectors provided for home alarms are not designed to be placed outside where they can get wet from rain water.  There are other products specifically designed for exterior applications.

Reply To: DIY alarm sensor sticky pads
Your information:

Was this article helpful?

Thank you for your feedback!

Tell us how we can make your experience better next time.

Comments are closed.

We use cookies to enhance your website experience. By continuing to use our site you agree to the use of cookies in accordance with our policy. Click for more information to find out what cookies we use, what they do and how you can disable them.