We may earn money when you click our links. Learn More. X

Do security systems screen their technicians to ensure they aren’t criminals?

Home Forums Home Security Security Systems Do security systems screen their technicians to ensure they aren’t criminals?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  security43 6 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Maru Quevedo
    Keymaster

We’re getting a security system installed and I have to admit, I don’t let a lot of people into my home.  I’m very skeptical these days of people knowing who lives at my home and what possessions we have.  How do I know that the security installers are safe people?  It may sound like I’m being overly cautious, but I have a child and I am a single mother.  I feel I can never be too careful.

• #1205 Reply

security43

Home security systems are a great way to protect your home. When you are installing your electronic alert system as part of your home protection plan, you want it to be as safe as possible. But did you ever stop and think about who the security system technicians are that perform the installation and maintenance on your electronic alert system? They have access to important and very sensitive information about your home and schedule, so it is vital that security companies screen technicians to make sure they have no criminal background and are of solid character.

Pre-hire background investigations

Simply being a qualified technician with education and experience is not enough. Nor is it now sufficient for many security companies to simply do a background check on potential qualified new hires. Instead, an investigator is hired to look into the potential new technician’s past in both the criminal sense and the character sense. When a technician comes to your home even as a new hire, you can be rest assured that his friends and family and prior co-workers have all vouched for him as a person who will not take advantage.

Screening questionnaires

A full background investigation requires hiring a private investigator and can take weeks. This makes such investigations potentially quite expensive, as you might imagine. Home security companies can do a simple ‘weeding out’ process for potential new hires by running a simple background check and by developing a comprehensive screening questionnaire. The questionnaire is meant to test the technician applicant’s views on work ethics, job values, and basic attitudes, in addition to making sure he has no prior arrests and no convicted felonies. Basically, the screening makes sure that the would-be technician is someone you would actually want to allow into your home.

Credit checks and drug screening

There are several reasons why this is a good idea. Foremost, it is because most burglaries are motivated by finances or by the need to feed a drug addiction. If the potential technician passes these two checks, statistics have shown that it is unlikely that he will be a threat to your home security for these reasons.

Clean driving record

Along with other character references, a person’s driving record says a lot about her respect for the law. Everyone has parking tickets, but when you have someone in your home, DWIs, too many speeding tickets, or excessive numbers of accidents are all bad signs.

Reply To: Do security systems screen their technicians to ensure they aren’t criminals?
Your information:

Was this article helpful?

Thank you for your feedback!

Tell us how we can make your experience better next time.

Comments are closed.

We use cookies to enhance your website experience. By continuing to use our site you agree to the use of cookies in accordance with our policy. Click for more information to find out what cookies we use, what they do and how you can disable them.