We may earn money when you click our links. Learn More. X

Frontpoint vs. Alarm.com – What's the Difference?

Home Forums Home Security Security Systems Frontpoint vs. Alarm.com – What's the Difference?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  David DeMille 5 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Maru Quevedo
    Keymaster

Hi – thanks very much for your in-depth coverage of home security systems.

Although you speak glowingly of FrontPoint, you also mention Alarm.com. I’m a bit confused – – – are these related somehow? If not, then why mention Alarm.com? Is it also something you would recommend? I went on each website (i.e., FrontLine and Alarm.com) but didn’t see that they were connected at all, and of course wasn’t able to tell from that whether one was better than the other.

Also, I’m a little intimidated by the requirement to install the FrontLine (and presumably Alarm.com) system myself. Is it an idiot package? Or if not, do you know if there are dealers authorized to install it? Sadly, my mantra when it comes to installing or assembling anything is “nothing is easy”.

Thanks so much! I’ve found it shockingly difficult to get good information on alarm systems and companies online – – – all the sites seem to contain tons of obviously bogus reviews.

• #9493 Reply

Hi there,

All good questions, sorry we didn’t make this clearer in the article. Alarm.com is a monitoring service that used to accept clients directly, but no longer. They now license their interactive (website) monitoring service to authorized dealers. FrontPoint is one of these dealers (most alarm companies that use GE equipment are), so by ordering a FrontPoint system, you have the option of adding interactive monitoring via alarm.com. In other words, alarm.com has focused their resources on running their monitoring service, they are no longer in the business of signing up and managing clients directly. They leave this to the security companies.

As for installing the system yourself, all it involves is sticking various sensors throughout your house (behind doors and windows, and motion sensors into corners of rooms). If you can screw in a light bulb, you shouldn’t have too much trouble installing a FrontPoint system. That being said, you always have the option of returning the system for a full refund (within 15 days of receiving the system) if you’re not happy with it or can’t get it to work for any reason. Don’t hesitate to call FrontPoint and have one of their customer service representatives guide you through the setup process while you install your system. We have found them very patient and responsive.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Reply To: Frontpoint vs. Alarm.com – What's the Difference?
Your information:

Cancel

Was this article helpful?

Thank you for your feedback!

Tell us how we can make your experience better next time.

Comments are closed.

We use cookies to enhance your website experience. By continuing to use our site you agree to the use of cookies in accordance with our policy. Click for more information to find out what cookies we use, what they do and how you can disable them.