We may earn money when you click our links. Learn More. X

Home Automation

Home Forums Home Security Security Systems Home Automation

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  a seeker of security 6 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Sayaka Lin
    Participant

I’ve been hearing more and more about the “home automation” products alarm companies are offering. I never fully subscribed to the idea that alarm systems were worth their weight in $$ and contract hassles (I simply slap NRA stickers all over my house and keep a loaded shotgun on hand).

But now that I’m seeing everything that you can control with the home automation via your cell phone, I’m getting more interested in this new type of security service offering. Is it possible to control door locks, window locks, etc. with home automation, or are they intended primarily for lighting and such?

• #1497 Reply

a seeker of security

Home security alarm systems is a independent part of home automation. It is used to monitor the door, window opening, intrusion, or outdoor protection. And can be with X10 equipment such as lighting, air condition etc. Maybe it will be part of smart home systems in the near future.

• #1498 Reply

a seeker of security

The future is already here- it's just not evenly distributed.

Vivint.com

• #1499 Reply

a seeker of security

There is so much you can do with current home automation products and systems. To answer the basic question, yes it is quite possible to control door locks and a number of other functions. I am not sure about window locks, but there is probably a product out there somewhere which can accomplish this. Controlling most of the functions of your home from the palm of your hand is an incredibly powerful feeling.

During the course of my investigation, I have discovered that there are a number of things which can be controlled via home automation systems.

The first major area is indeed lighting. Monitor and control all of your lights from anywhere with your smart phone or tablet. You can set this up to operate in a number of different ways. For example:

• Automatically turn lights on at sunset and off at sunrise
    • Automatically turn lights on when a room is occupied and off when unoccupied
    • Dim lights when watching TV
    • Dim the lights based on changing light levels inside the home
    • Turn lights on during emergencies
    • Control the lights via your voice

You are also able to control your heating and HVAC system using home automation.
    These means monitoring and controlling your thermostat from anywhere. You can program a daily or weekly schedule based on when someone will be in (and out) of the house. Actually such a system can really save you money on your heating and cooling costs! You can even adjust the thermostat remote based on whether or not a room is occupied. Turn off the blower automatically in case of a fire or other emergency. If you like, set it up to control your thermostat by your voice.

There are many people who also like controlling their audio and video equipment using automation systems. This usually means adding an infra red controller to the system. This will allow for the ability to automatically turn on the equipment when favorite shows start, as well as sending an alert to a cell phone! The TV can be turned off at a preset time, when the room is unoccupied, or they can all be controlled via voice commands.

The same thing basically goes for a garage door or security gate. You can open and close either of these as you like with the smart phone or tablet. You may even control this equipment with your voice.

Integrate everything together with an existing home security system. Program everything exactly as you wish. For example, you may want to automatically disarm the security system when the door lock code is entered. This way, there is no fumbling around to get to the control pad in time before the alarm starts blazing. You can even specify to receive phone, text or spoken alerts when any zones or alerts are triggered. Best of all, control everything via voice.

• #1500 Reply

a seeker of security

Home Automation Systems Control More Than Just Lights

Many people also wonder a lot about home automation systems and what they can actually do. These set ups can be really quite technically advanced. That is not to say that they are not easy to use at the same time. Personally, I have had my own automation system for about 10 months and absolutely love it. In fact, I really wonder now why it took me so long to convert over.

According to this post, many people think that these home automation systems are really just designed to run and control their lights. While this may have been the first functions controlled by such designs, this is simply not the case today. Take the example of a thermostat. There are electronically controlled thermostats which can be connected to a home automation system. This allows the owner to control a myriad number of things about their home. You can program exactly when the heat or air comes on and turns off. This can be done according to a regular schedule or other conditions. You may even specify that air turns on or off when people enter or leave a certain room or enter or leave the house in general.

This is just a small sampling of what can be controlled with a proper home automation system. The really nice part is that you can make changes anytime you wish using a smart phone or computer.

• #1501 Reply

A security professional

Home automation which is "tied to the security system" will take advantage of the alarm system's motion detectors to determine if the rooms are occupied.

When the alarm system is armed in AWAY mode, meaning that the home will be empty since everyone is AWAY, the house temperature will be automatically lowered.

The heating (if you have z-wave technology in your thermostat and it is tied in with the home automation feature in your security system) will be automatically raised back to normal when you DISARM the alarm panel.  If you'd like the home to be warm when you arrive back from work, simply log into your security system's interactive app on your smart phone or log in to their website to request that the home automation system raise the temperature while you're in your car on your way home.

The fact that the alarm system is "talking" to the heating system and informing your furnace that the home is empty on all of the occasions of AWAY arming provides additional savings over a stand-alone programmable thermostat.

It's the communication aspect, which might not be immediately recognized, that is the most important feature of today's home automation which involes alarm systems.

• #1502 Reply

a seeker of security

Home automation systems have advanced to a level today where the owner can really control just about any essential function within their home. As the author pointed out, they can control lights. The control you have is actually quite impressive. Set times for lights to come on and off (which can be different based on the room). You can also set conditions, such as having the lights come on upon sunset, or if the skies are overcast. You can even specify that the lights turn on when someone opens the front door (or leaves) or walks into a room.

In many cases, you can even control door and garage locks. Of course, the types of doors must lend themselves to being coordinated with electronic locks. Once that is done, you can lock and unlock any (or all) door that you like, from the palm of your hand, no matter how far away you are located.

Integrate full control of you A/V systems as well. This includes being to do some incredibly cool things like turning on the stereo or television as soon as someone enters a room, being able to automatically record all of your favorite shows, turning the TV on at a set time (like maybe right before a favorite show is about to start).

As you can see, you have a lot more control than simply turning lights on and off.

In many cases, you can even control door and garage locks. Of course, the types of doors must lend themselves to being coordinated with electronic locks. Once that is done, you can lock and unlock any (or all) door that you like, from the palm of your hand, no matter how far away you are located.

Integrate full control of you A/V systems as well. This includes being to do some incredibly cool things like turning on the stereo or television as soon as someone enters a room, being able to automatically record all of your favorite shows, turning the TV on at a set time (like maybe right before a favorite show is about to start).

As you can see, you have a lot more control than simply turning lights on and off.

• #1496 Reply

I think probably the #1 most important thing when it comes to home automation is lighting schedules. One of the first things burglars look for is a pattern a homeowner has as far as when they are at home. That's why the medical residents behind the hospital are constantly getting their stuff jacked!

If you're not going to get a monitored home security system with home automation capabilities, at least get some timers on your lights and create a nice random light show when you're not at home.

Reply To: Home Automation
Your information:

Was this article helpful?

Thank you for your feedback!

Tell us how we can make your experience better next time.

Comments are closed.

We use cookies to enhance your website experience. By continuing to use our site you agree to the use of cookies in accordance with our policy. Click for more information to find out what cookies we use, what they do and how you can disable them.