We may earn money when you click our links. Learn More. X

Home security option with customized response algorithms?

Home Forums Home Security Home security option with customized response algorithms?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Security Professional 5 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Terry Blostor
    Participant

Has anybody seen reviews of central station monitoring that delve into how effective they are at customized response algorithms to minimize false alarms? For example, I want to be able to limit the response to a case where more than one interior zone is tripped OR any exterior door. (I can’t imagine a burglar who wouldn’t walk through a couple of zones.)

I’ve had ADT for more than 20 years, so I guess I’m pretty happy, but they don’t seem to be effective at customizing the response protocol. I’d like to be able to see that protocol spelled out in my account info when I check it online, knowing it will pop up to their monitoring station operator. What seems to be missing from reviews is what happens after you get that dreaded call that the alarm is going off, what options do you have before you bug the neighbors, call the police, or drive home from work?

Terry

• #8973 Reply

Participant

Ademco alarm panels have double zone tripping features that can be programed in the unit to accomplish what you desire.

• #8974 Reply

“Double-zone tripping features”, which implies that TWO alarm zones must both be tripped within a specific time period before the alarm panel transmits a signal to the monitoring station, is not exclusive to Ademco security systems. This is also available on many of the other alarm panels of different manufacturers.

The alarm industry uses several different expressions to describe this feature, which is most commonly referred to as “double-knock“.

There was another very important point included within the original post:

Any professional monitoring station has the ability to include additional notes within an account file so that its operators can follow specific instructions that the client, or the alarm installer, has indicated about reaction to alarm signal(s).

You can specify and request a different response reaction to each type of alarm signal, such as burglary, fire, medical, panic or a supervisory signal sent for low temperature or sump pump overflow.

These personalized notes, which are easily included into the on-line dossier, can also provide the monitoring station staff with valuable information about the client. Is the client deaf or hard of hearing? Does the client speak English?

If your monitoring station is unable or unwilling to provide you with this service, then perhaps you need to change to a different alarm provider with another monitoring station.

Also be aware that, unlike your current alarm provider which has their own monitoring stations, many of the smaller alarm companies in your area will use the monitoring services of the same central monitoring station.

Owning, staffing and operating a ULC approved monitoring station is expensive. Smaller alarm companies use the services of a central station which only monitors clients, and which doesn’t service, repair or install alarm systems.

In what is known as third-party monitoring, the client deals directly with the alarm installer who does not own the monitoring station.

If you are unable to resolve issues with your current monitoring station, then make sure that you are, in fact, switching over to a different central station.

If you are having issues with your current alarm installer, you may get much better service by switching over to a different alarm company, who then connects your account to the same central monitoring station used by your former alarm installer.

Reply To: Home security option with customized response algorithms?
Your information:

Was this article helpful?

Thank you for your feedback!

Tell us how we can make your experience better next time.

Comments are closed.

We use cookies to enhance your website experience. By continuing to use our site you agree to the use of cookies in accordance with our policy. Click for more information to find out what cookies we use, what they do and how you can disable them.