We may earn money when you click our links. Learn More. X

Home Security Systems Consumer Reports

Home Forums Home Security Security Systems Home Security Systems Consumer Reports

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Alex 6 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

T Fuss
    Participant

I’m trying to figure out with all the industry coverage of home security systems, why Consumer Reports of all people hasn’t opened a file on this industry? It’s not like the home alarm business is now, alarm systems have been around for decades. I appreciate the Internet reviews, but I tend to listen more to an established brand when it comes to decisions that are subject to bias.

If there has been a home security systems consumer reports ever, could you guys point me in the right direction (i.e. which issue, year, month, etc.)? I would consider subscribing to their online service for this just so I can access the respective back issue.

Meanwhile, you’ve provided me with a great deal of useful info to help in my search for a security system. Many thanks and if you have any tips, let me know.

• #964 Reply

Alex

The only coverage I've come across in Consumer Reports Magazine regarding home security is an article in the June 2011 issue covering "Alarm Company Gotcha's." Basically they cover things a consumer should look out for when signing a contract with an alarm company. I don't believe they've ever made specific security company recommendations, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Here's some of the stuff covered in the 6/11 CR article (and here's a link to the Consumer Reports page on Alarm Company Gotcha's that discusses this, and where you can subscribe for access to back issues):

Alarms, especially noisy ones, can provide an extra layer of security. Almost 80 percent of homeowners with alarms rated those systems effective at protecting their homes in a recent, nationally representative survey by the Consumer Reports National Research Center. But before you get an alarm or switch monitoring companies, check whether your area requires a permit, and be aware of the following contract clauses:

Early-termination charges

These can leave you liable for up to 80 percent of the costs of the contract's term, even if you move.

Exclusions

A contract we saw warns that promises made by sales staff or in ads are not binding if they're not in the contract.

Limited liability

If you suffer a break-in, even due to the alarm company's negligence or failure of the equipment or service, the company isn't responsible and won't reimburse beyond a specific amount, $300 to $1,000 on the contracts we reviewed. You might also forfeit the right to sue the company for additional money. 

Reply To: Home Security Systems Consumer Reports
Your information:

Was this article helpful?

Thank you for your feedback!

Tell us how we can make your experience better next time.

Comments are closed.

We use cookies to enhance your website experience. By continuing to use our site you agree to the use of cookies in accordance with our policy. Click for more information to find out what cookies we use, what they do and how you can disable them.