We may earn money when you click our links. Learn More. X

HomeShield Security Do-It-Yourself

Home Forums Home Security Security Systems HomeShield Security Do-It-Yourself

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  a seeker of security 7 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Maru Quevedo
    Keymaster

I recently did a lot of homework before purchasing my home security system. First off, my credit was shot during my recent divorce so all these Goliath companies would not approve me. I was finally approved for a free system through a major company but I had to sign a 5 year contract. I don’t know where I’ll be in 5 years nor do I really want to make such a long commitment. So my search began. I called SimpliSafe and was unimpressed with their suffocating customer service. The rep did NOT want me to hang up without purchasing. I don’t like that. I want to search all my options and not be badgered into signing up. Plus, their system looked very cheaply made. I know they were in Times magazine or something similar but I was still not impressed. I looked at a few others and then came across HomeShield.

First off, their customer service line put me right through to a rep and he was so nice and helpful. He filled me in on his product and didn’t make me feel like I had to join that minute. No “sign up now for this promotion only lasting today” gimmicks. He just laid out all the facts and was very professional. I did have to pay for the system up front and my monitoring is only $21.99 a month but they do not HAVE to overcharge for monitoring. I disagree with the writer on staying away from cheap monitoring. Just because a company doesn’t charge an arm and a leg for monitoring does NOT make them sketchy. It makes them affordable. Believe it or not, there are companies trying to appeal to the class of population that I am in who just cannot afford $30 + a month.

They want our business so they will not make quite as much to get our business…. So I disagree with that warning. (sorry I’m rambling) They have all the features as the FrontPoint but it’s more affordable. They have a very reputable monitoring center, they have state of the art Honeywell technology, and they have a very easy to install package. They have surveillance packages as well. I purchased their Elite Package so I can also monitor my home visually from my iPhone as I’m also out of town a lot. My daughter is 19 and going off to college in the fall and I fully intend to purchase a system for her apartment.

Yes, I paid for my system up front but that’s ok because it was still in my budget and much cheaper (actually the cheapest) of the other companies I researched. I received it in 3 days. I had it installed within 15 minutes, programmed and ready. Overall on a star system I would give it 5 stars because it met every single one of my needs. Simple, affordable, and secure.

Just wondering if anyone else has looked into them?

I also noticed they are in an upcoming episode of Lifetime’s Designing Spaces so that made me even more confident of their reputation.

• #1512 Reply

Hi Elisha,

We have not reviewed HomeShield but will be happy to look into them for you. We'll post back here once we've done our research.

Meanwhile, let us know if you made any more progress choosing your security system!

• #1513 Reply

a seeker of security

One of the companies that I looked into during the course of my research for our home security system was Home Shield. Just as the author says in his post, I ran into a number of high pressure sales tactics and even a number of gimmicks before finding this company. In this industry, I think the biggest thing is to take your time and do your research. Anyone who has to use strong arm tactics like telling you that this is only a one day promotion or deal is either lying to you or just in need of a commission. Take your time, research all your options and then make the decision that is right for you.

There are a number of different factors to consider when choosing a home security company. The first thing to think about is the up front cost. Some national companies charge 500 dollars or even more as an up front fee. To me, this is too high, considering the fact that they are going to continue making money off me every month with the monitoring charge. Home Shield was right in the middle with their up front charge. I also appreciated the fact that they were very clear about all the fees and the exactly how the process worked. Many companies will try to confuse you, or pressure you into buying from them. Even worse are the ones that try to scare you or shame you into thinking that the longer you wait the more you are putting the safety of your family at risk.

The next factor to consider is the monthly monitoring fee. Additionally, in order to compare apples to apples, you should determine what type of monitoring is used. The best is a cellular network, which is much more secure than anything else. However, do not let a rep talk you into paying more than is needed. Some national companies have monthly charges in the range of 50 dollars. This is way too high. Twenty to thirty dollars is about all that you should be willing to pay here.

Also, find out about what type of contract you need to sign. The biggest benefit of using Home Shield was that they did not require any type of contract. Compared to other companies which typically require between a 3 and 5 year contract, this represented a significant savings. I do not know where I will be in 5 years, do you? Yet these companies want us to sign our lives away to them. In many cases, I think they are hoping that people cancel on them, so that they can continue taking their fees for doing nothing.

It may also help to sit down and actually figure out the total cost of your system. Do this for three and five years into the future (which is when you would be finished with many of the original contracts). This should be revealing.

Reply To: HomeShield Security Do-It-Yourself
Your information:

Was this article helpful?

Thank you for your feedback!

Tell us how we can make your experience better next time.

Comments are closed.

We use cookies to enhance your website experience. By continuing to use our site you agree to the use of cookies in accordance with our policy. Click for more information to find out what cookies we use, what they do and how you can disable them.