We may earn money when you click our links. Learn More. X

Radio vs Cellular Alarm Monitoring

Home Forums Home Security Security Systems Radio vs Cellular Alarm Monitoring

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Security Professional 5 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Participant

I keep hearing talk about cellular vs wireless monitoring, or landline phone vs broadband. But what about radio monitoring? Wouldn’t that be even more secure than cellular, and why isn’t that more widely available?

• #9467 Reply

I’m glad someone asked this question. Although A Secure Life points out the added value of a cellular communicator which is used to send alarm signals to a monitoring station, they neglected to mention another wireless format which I find has some advantages over cellular – RADIO.

CONS of cellular are: Your cellular provider may eventually decide to increase monthly fees; or in a natural disaster situation, such as a forest fire or flood, a cellular tower could topple over which disrupts your cellular service. Also, there are more products surfacing on the market now which are intended to jam cellular signals.

PROS of radio: There is no legitimate justification for increased radio monitoring fees, such as “increased labor costs” or “maintenance of communication towers”, since these do not apply. The radios are designed to select multiple pathways of communication to the monitoring station by using other installed radios as the “towers”, thus preventing jamming of radio signals. If a new high-rise construction project goes up, the radio signals just go around it.

Long range radio communicators, such as those provided by AES-IntelliNet, are my personal choice over cellular (which is my second choice). Properly installed, the monitoring station receives notice of an alarm at your residence within 15-seconds of activation.

For increased security, the wireless AES-Radio communicator can also be set up to send TIMED SUPERVISORY or “self-test” signals to the monitoring station once every five minutes or less. This means that you will be notified of a loss of communication from your home in under six minutes.

Obviously, the level of security is dependent on your budget for yearly monitoring, as wireless cellular or radio communicators are more expensive than unsupervised telephone line monitoring. “Timed supervisory” is the most expensive, but most secure, option.

However, it’s important to point out all of the available choices with their respective pros and cons, to make an informed choice.

I recommend looking into using a radio communicator if you are within range of your monitoring station. If not, cellular is the way to go.

Reply To: Radio vs Cellular Alarm Monitoring
Your information:

Was this article helpful?

Thank you for your feedback!

Tell us how we can make your experience better next time.

Comments are closed.

We use cookies to enhance your website experience. By continuing to use our site you agree to the use of cookies in accordance with our policy. Click for more information to find out what cookies we use, what they do and how you can disable them.