We may earn money when you click our links. Learn More. X

Replacing Wired Smoke Detectors

Home Forums Home Security Replacing Wired Smoke Detectors

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jeff 6 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Jack Charlie
    Participant

The smoke detectors in my home are all wired so that if one goes off, they all go off (these are not monitored by a security company, just noise makers). They are about 15 years old and it is time to replace them. They are all First Alert smoke detectors, but I want to upgrade to a Photoelectric detector from Kiddie. Does anyone know if the current wiring in my house will work with the Kiddie alarms? I would hate to invest $100+ to find out that they can’t ‘talk’ to each other like my current First Alert detectors.

• #897 Reply

Jeff

Wired smoke detectors generally have three wires (White, Black & Red). The red wire is what interconnects all of the detectors together. You are able to change brands and they will all still work as designed. In fact, I have replaced just one of my three sensors and they still worked, even though there were two different brands. I hope this helps and great decision in going with a Photoelectric detector!

Reply To: Replacing Wired Smoke Detectors
Your information:

Was this article helpful?

Thank you for your feedback!

Tell us how we can make your experience better next time.

Comments are closed.

We use cookies to enhance your website experience. By continuing to use our site you agree to the use of cookies in accordance with our policy. Click for more information to find out what cookies we use, what they do and how you can disable them.