We may earn money when you click our links. Learn More. X

Soon to be homeowner needs advice

Home Forums Home Security Security Systems Soon to be homeowner needs advice

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  a Security Professional 6 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Nick Harrington
    Participant

Hi all,

I am about to purchase a home that was completely remodeled inside and out. They installed pre-wiring for alarm system. I see that the alarm panel is honeywell and the batch of cables is ran to closet of a bedroom nearby.

Reading the top security systems review on this site seems like most of the “top” companies are mostly DIY kind of setups. For people like me who has a brand new pre-wire, what company is the best choice?

• #1063 Reply

calc_m

Since the alarm panel is Honeywell, you might want to look into purchasing a hard wired system from Honeywell. They are supposedly DIY.

However, I would not rule out a wireless, DIY system. I've personally installed a wireless system myself and it was a breeze. If it were a wired system, I am not sure I would of had as much success as they seem very complicated. With a wired system, you also have to worry about the wires being cut and power outages, which are not issues on  a wireless system.

Hopefuly someone who has experience installing a wired system can chime in as well.

• #1064 Reply

a Security Professional

My own experience as a professional alarm installer has shown that a consumer with a pre-wired home does not save money by self-installing wireless equipment over the alarm wires.

[Editor's note: ] because of the length and in-depth nature of this comment, we felt it warranted its own article. Please visit our article on wired home security systems to learn how to take advantage of your pre-wired home.

Reply To: Soon to be homeowner needs advice
Your information:

Was this article helpful?

Thank you for your feedback!

Tell us how we can make your experience better next time.

Comments are closed.

We use cookies to enhance your website experience. By continuing to use our site you agree to the use of cookies in accordance with our policy. Click for more information to find out what cookies we use, what they do and how you can disable them.