We may earn money when you click our links. Learn More. X

Stalking Laws

Home Forums Personal Security Stalking Laws

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  security43 7 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Sanjok Dangol
    Participant

I know that today we use the term “stalking” pretty lightly. I always hear girls talk about how some guy is stalking them, when in my opinion, he is just showing interest in them and is not doing anything odd at all. In fact, before the stalking laws came out, his actions might even be considered romantic and sweet.

So what exactly determines the difference between stalking and someone just showing some interest in a person? I mean, there has to be some magic number, right? Like 3 phone calls a day is okay, but 4 is in the stalking zone or something like that. What exactly are the parameters that define stalking?

I only ask because I have someone who is creeping me out and I am starting to wonder what legal ground I have to stand on if I need to seek outside assistance. I am not really afraid that he is going to hurt me or anything at this point, but I am afraid it is heading in that direction and that I won’t be able to do anything about it at some point. I just want to know where I stand and if I am going to be able to get help when I need it.

I would also like to know what makes me such a magnet for people like this because I am not really even all that friendly and certainly am not stalk-worthy, but that’s a topic for another time and place. If you know anything about current stalker laws, can you please give me a heads up?

• #1362 Reply

security43

Actually the definition of stalking can be quite broad and applied in a number of areas that might not be intuitively recognized. It also depends on your specific state or jurisdiction. Let me back up and start out this comment by saying that I am not a lawyer and none of this should be construed as legal advice. In fact, I would strongly recommend that if you are this worried about the situation, go talk to a lawyer or at the very least a police office and find out what your specific options are.

I do know that if you are receiving virtually any type of unwanted attention or interest you may be able to obtain peace or even a restraining order against that person. My understanding is that a peace order is pretty easy to get. The only real condition is that can at least reasonably prove that you are receiving unwanted attention and that the person accused is directly responsible. That should be enough (hopefully) to solve your problem. With a peace order, the person in question will generally be required to stay away from you and your person, your domicile (house or apartment) and will be prevented from emailing or calling or contacting you in any way. Now, sometimes these orders only last a certain amount of time, although they can usually be renewed (be sure to check).

I really hope that this helps. Either way, do something NOW, before it becomes a serious problem.

Reply To: Stalking Laws
Your information:

Was this article helpful?

Thank you for your feedback!

Tell us how we can make your experience better next time.

Comments are closed.

We use cookies to enhance your website experience. By continuing to use our site you agree to the use of cookies in accordance with our policy. Click for more information to find out what cookies we use, what they do and how you can disable them.