We may earn money when you click our links. Learn More. X

What are the best paying security careers?

Home Forums Personal Security What are the best paying security careers?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  security43 7 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Maru Quevedo
    Keymaster

My cousin is a high school student who is starting to consider some options for a future career.  Here is his question:

I realize that I still have time, and also that my interests might change in a year or two. That is fine and I will roll with those punches as they (if they) come. However, right now I am really very interested in law enforcement and security.

I know that there are a number of different positions open to someone in the security field. I also know that there are positions that are both armed and unarmed. I imagine that due to my age I would not be a very likely candidate for an armed security position right now.

I guess basically what I want to know is about the pay levels for people in the security field. Which jobs pay the most? Also, if there are people out there who know why certain security jobs pay more others, this would also be very helpful. How would someone go about finding some of the security jobs?

• #1292 Reply

security43

There actually are a number of decent to great paying security jobs out there. This comes as a surprise to most people, who may think of the guy who patrols the mall as your basic security person. If you want to make some decent money, a great way to go would be a professional body guard. These days it seems all types of people want to have their own personal body guard. It is not just for the rich and famous, although the movie and TV stars certainly have them as well. A good body guard should probably make from about 70,000 dollars per year and up. If you meet specific requirements, or find the right client, this salary could be even more.

Another route to go would be to try and find work in private security. This means basically being hired by a company directly. When a company out sources their security needs to contractors like Wells Fargo, they do not usually pay very well. However, find a nice spot with a large company like IBM or another with a lot of assets to protect and you might be taking home a nice paycheck as well. The salary can vary considerably here and will really depend a lot on the specific company.

You may also want to consider obtaining a certification. One of the top companies to provide this is ASIS International. Their Certified Protection Program is the most respected in the field. The average salary of someone having one of these is around 95,000 dollars per year. Of course, this is not something you can obtain right away. You would need to gain a fair amount of experience first before attempting this.

I would certainly recommend that you start out by getting some experience. It is very hard to go straight from school to being a professional body guard (although it is possible). Also, research each position more thoroughly.

Reply To: What are the best paying security careers?
Your information:

Was this article helpful?

Thank you for your feedback!

Tell us how we can make your experience better next time.

Comments are closed.

We use cookies to enhance your website experience. By continuing to use our site you agree to the use of cookies in accordance with our policy. Click for more information to find out what cookies we use, what they do and how you can disable them.