We may earn money when you click our links. Learn More. X

What are the Best Programs for Woman’s Self Defense?

Home Forums Personal Security What are the Best Programs for Woman’s Self Defense?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  norton_n 7 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Jack Charlie
    Participant

My friend was recently attacked on the way home from work. It was a very frightening experience, as you could imagine. They are ok and did not suffer any type of permanent injuries as a result. But it got me thinking about what I would do if this ever happened. I mean would I even be able to fight back and protect myself? That also led me to thinking about possibly getting some self defense classes or lessons. I would also like to give some as a gift for one of my nieces. Does anyone out there have recommendations as to which are the best defense programs for women in the USA?

• #1427 Reply

norton_n

Certainly, it is an admirable goal to want to be better able to protect yourself. And making a gift for your niece is also a great idea. I have done a little bit of research on this topic and would like to share a few ideas that might help you out in search of some good classes for her.

The National Coalition Against Sexual Assault has some guidelines that might be helpful here. Each course should reflect a certain philosophy. The basic principles are that no matter what a woman did not ask to be assaulted, attacked or taken advantage of. Additionally, she is not at fault, no matter what actions or defense (or survival) strategies or tactics were used it is not her fault. The third principle is that a good program is not rigid. They do not say that there is only a single approach, but rather give options from which the woman may choose the best course, depending on the situation.

I think the overriding philosophy of the course is of paramount importance. The whole is idea is preparedness and to be aware of all the options that you have. I think this is absolutely the most important thing that you want to have conveyed to your niece during her program.

A good program will not assume that a confrontation is always the proper way to resolve a situation. Therefore, you should consider a program that will explain the importance of being assertive, using verbal confrontation skills and safety strategies in addition to physical tactics. The great thing about a good program is that you will not need to take a lot of time or train for years and years in order to develop the basic skills that are needed.

There are a number of programs which I would personally consider to be good. Of course, do your own investigation and see if they work for you as well. Fast Defense is a really nice course and it is pretty affordable as well. You may also want to consider either the Impact or Model Mugging courses, which are about 4 or 5 sessions each and have a good foundation in the philosophy described above. There are others, of course. These are just a few off the top of my head.

Reply To: What are the Best Programs for Woman’s Self Defense?
Your information:

Was this article helpful?

Thank you for your feedback!

Tell us how we can make your experience better next time.

Comments are closed.

We use cookies to enhance your website experience. By continuing to use our site you agree to the use of cookies in accordance with our policy. Click for more information to find out what cookies we use, what they do and how you can disable them.