Are you moving into a new home, prepping for a baby, or simply trying to make your home safer? The list of things to do might feel endless, but many of the things that will make your home safer should take only a few minutes.
Don’t forget the quick and easy things that can make a big difference—use this checklist to make sure your home is safe, inside and out.
The complete home safety checklist
- Install smoke detectors on every level of your home.
- Place carbon monoxide alarms near every sleeping area.
- Install one radon gas detector in the lowest place in your home.
- Replace the batteries in your smoke detectors and CO alarms every six months.
- Use smart plugs for electrical appliances like curling irons and grills so you can turn them off even if you aren’t home.
- Anchor furniture to your walls so your children can’t accidentally pull it over on themselves.
- Mount TVs to your walls or place them on sturdy furniture that is low to the ground.
- Install childproof locks on any cabinets that have cleaning supplies, chemicals, or medicine.
- Keep a fire extinguisher near your kitchen and in the garage in case of emergencies.
- Secure sliding doors and windows by placing a wooden dowel or two-by-four in the bottom track.
- Place small hooks near blinds to keep cords out of children’s reach.
- Place floor mats in your bathroom to prevent slips and falls.
- Store electrical appliances away from water.
- Install motion sensor lights and cameras to deter package theft and burglary.
- Replace your current locks with smart door locks that let you lock and unlock your door remotely.
- Cover your window wells so kids and pets can’t fall in while they’re playing outside.
- Invest in a smart garage door opener so you never accidentally leave your garage door open.
- Trim trees and bushes around your home to eliminate easy hiding spots on your property.
- Stop mail and newspaper delivery if you’ll be out of town for a long time.
- Use automatic timers or smart devices to make it look like your home is occupied when you aren’t there.
- Get a professionally monitored home security system so someone can watch over your home when you’re away.
What are you doing to keep your home and family safe? The checklist above is a great start, but we’d love to hear from you. Share your advice in the comments below.