Thad Paschall is the Chief Executive Officer and founder of Protect America and he was kind enough to grant an exclusive Protect America interview with us in June, 2013. Thad launched Protect America in 1992 with the primary goal of making reliable home security within the reach of all Americans. With over 23 years in the security industry and 20 years of executive experience, Thad has led Protect America through extensive growth and innovation.
In 2005 Thad was the driving force behind the creation of the first monitored self-installed security system business model. Thad created an entirely new niche within the security industry while building one of the largest privately owned residential security companies in the country. As a leader in the industry, Protect America has secured over 400,000 customers over the course of 20 years.
1. Can you provide some background on why and how Protect America got started?
Protect America started out as a conversation over a cheddar cheeseburger and an idea written on a napkin. I founded Protect America with the primary goal of making reliable home security within the reach of all Americans. My humble beginnings played a large role in my genuine drive to create a product that could provide security and peace of mind. I credit my mother for my hardworking American entrepreneurial spirit, and the values she instilled in me. It was with this focus that I put in motion the ground work for a successful security company and survived against all odds.
2. What geographic locations does Protect America serve?
Protect America has secured over 400,000 customers over the course of 20 years nationwide across the United States. We recently expanded earlier in 2013 to service provinces in Canada.
3. What do you feel has been the biggest change in the industry since the company was founded?
One of the fastest growing segments of the home security industry is the self-installed segment which Protect America founded. In 2005 we created a niche within the industry by changing our business model to fit the growing demands of the industry and to become more accessible to the average American family. Protect America has shown growth and innovation over the past 20 years by becoming a pioneer in the DIY monitored home security model. We became a leader in the industry by creating the monitored self-install business model. These changes were ground breaking and unheard of in a competitive industry such as ours. It’s with this fearless drive that we proudly have made great changes within our industry having always maintained a willingness to grow, adapt and innovate.
4. Thinking of your consumers, what home security concerns keep you up at night?
We have made it a point to grow with our customers, and to make sure we are listening to what they have to say. Our customers are the reason why we are so successful. My commitment to them keeps me up at night along with my responsibility to ensure affordable and comprehensive monitored home security. We have devoted ourselves to providing affordable pricing while being able to offer the latest technology for our customers. More than concern, my focus for our customers is to ensure that we continue offering cutting edge interactive services that meet their growing and changing needs.
5. How have the increases in mobility, home automation and technology among homeowners changed the landscape of Protect America’s home security offering?
When it comes to your home, security experience is everything. We have maintained a commitment to focus on our customers changing technological needs. We have eliminated the limitations of hardwired installations, freeing our customers to control the way they use and adapt their home security system to fit their individual needs. There is no average customer. Each customer is unique and has different needs or expectations from the technological ability of their service. We have adapted our landscape of offerings by simplifying our service, set up and use by making our offerings more adaptable to each customer. Our customers are empowered with wireless abilities that allow them full access from their mobile devices. We have made our services accessible and adaptable for the entire family to use with ease.
6. What about your company’s offering makes you stand out from your competitors?
- Protect America prides itself on the early adoption of new technology by staying focused on creating, innovating, and testing new advances within our industry. We stay competitive by continuing to add accessibility and innovative control to our customer’s home security systems. Protect America has a team that is dedicated to researching, and keeping up with the technological changes in our industry.
- We stand apart from our competitors by offering packages and plans that are uniquely customized and modified to meet the needs of each customer and their entire home. Our wireless contacts protect each point of entry of the home, not just part of the home as traditionally provided by most competitors.
- We offer a very competitive price match guarantee that ensures our customers get the most for their dollar. Our monitored self-installed business model insures that we keep our overhead down and pass the savings on to our customers.
- I implemented a direct feedback to the CEO program that plays a key role in ensuring that we meet and exceed the expectations set forth by our customers.
7. The home security industry has become a high-tech, dynamic world to operate in. What new and exciting things can we expect to see over the next decade from the industry and Protect America?
The future of the home security industry is quickly growing and ever-changing. Technology that is now accessible in the commercial segment of our industry will start to have more applications for the home security user. Protect America will continue to add more options for its customers, introduce more user-friendly apps and stay ahead of technological advances. Most importantly we will continue our commitment to exceed our customer’s expectations of us in all facets of the company. We will continue to move in a direction that not only broadens our product line, but redefines the limits of how we view home security within our industry along with how our customers incorporate security into their everyday lives.
8. Is there anything else you would like to share with our readers?
Every year there are new companies trying to enter the market but only a few survive. Protect America has not only survived, but has been in business for over 20 years and continues to grow exponentially as a leader in the home security industry. We are hard at work every day to become better at what we do and our future holds great things. I am so proud of my like-minded team that carries the spirit of my vision. Looking back, I never would have thought my dreams today for the company would be even greater than I imagined when I sounded the company. The things we are working on to stay innovative in the home security industry are very exciting and we look forward to protecting America for years to come.