SimpliSafe has their own unique view on home security and the way that home security systems are sold. This company believes in keeping things simple so that the customer can focus on home security and not all the fine print that some home security companies bury their customers in. SimpliSafe is a no pressure company that leaves the decisions up to the customer with their no pressure sales system and easy to install home security system.
SimpliSafe took 5th place in our Top Security System Review and stands out as the premier choice in our home alarm system reviews for those looking for a system without the burden of a contract.
What Does SimpliSafe Home Security Offer?
SimpliSafe has a name that says it all. They sell home security systems with 24 hour monitoring (if you choose it) and customer service available via phone Monday–Friday 9:00am–6:00pm EST and via their website with a 24 hour expected response time. There is no contract to sign, so you can cancel the service at any time you wish. If you are not satisfied with the product, simply return it within 60 days for a full refund. You install your own devices, so you control how your system is set up. The Simpli Safe system is also wireless, so you don’t have to worry about having a phone line or any wires for that matter. You can also keep an eye on your system from anywhere online or from your smartphone if you pay the extra money for this service.
Every Simplisafe package offers 24/7 monitoring that you can cancel at any time. The original Simply Safe package is a basic package that gets homeowners started with their home security. Below is a list of what comes with the SimplySafe Starter Package as well as the costs.
- Initial Cost: Starts at $229.96.
- 1 Base Station: This plug-and-play station is pre-programmed to wirelessly control your alarm sensors and as many as 41 devices can be added (must be within 400 feet). The SimplySafe Base Station has a built-in 85dB Siren and a 2 day battery backup.
- 1 Wireless Keypad: Allows you to control your system at the touch of a button with no phone line. The “brains” are not stored in the keypad, so as long as you base station is hidden, there is no worries about an intruder damaging the keypad.
- 1 Motion Sensor: Wireless and detects motion within 30 feet. Pets under 50 lobs won’t trigger the alarm - $29.99 for Each Additional Sensor.
- 1 Entry Sensor: Installs to any door or window – $14.99 for Each Additional Sensor.
- 1 Keychain remote: Access your system without being at the keypad - $24.99 for Each Additional Sensor.
- Additions: You choose to add additional sensors:
- Smoke Detector – $29.99 each
- Carbon Monoxide Detector – $49.99 each
- Wireless Panic Button – $19.99 each
- Extra Siren – $59.99 each
- Wireless Freeze Sensor – $29.99 each
- Wireless Water Sensor – $19.99 each
Monitoring Options with SimpliSafe
- Standard – $14.99/month: The Standard package includes 24/7 monitoring and notification from central monitoring station.
- Alert – $19.99/month: The Alert package includes 24/7 monitoring, notification from central monitoring station, and as SMS/Email alerts.
- Interactive – $24.99/month: The Interactive package has all of the features of the Alert package, as well as wireless access to your system from your mobile device.
The biggest concern is their minimal coverage of crash and smash robberies in the way of a lack of internet polling. In many alarm systems there is a “supervised heartbeat” or “internet polling” capability so that when there is a lack of constant communication associated with “heartbeats” or “polling” (due to an intruder striking the base panel, lack of electricity or other communication failure), an alert is triggered to the possibility of the alarm equipment being destroyed.
So once the alarm panel is destroyed in a Simply Safe alarm system, it can no longer transmit its “heartbeats” or “polling” at its regularly timed interval. So when these signals STOP – that’s the indication that something may be up and the monitoring station goes into action to alert you against a possible emergency at your home.
How to Install a Crash and Smash Safe System
The good news is that the Base Station must be placed at least 15 feet away from the keypad, so it could be concealed by the homeowner and there is a simple workaround that can help you achieve excellent security coverage from the crash and smash risk with Simply Safe:
- Hide the base station inside a locked room
- Put a door alarm sensor on the door to the locked room that contains the base station
- Place a motion detector inside the same room
- Arm your SimpliSafe security system
Crash and Smash Note: This technology does not work if the control panel is disarmed on any current alarm system so be sure to arm your system if you wish to take advantage of this feature.
Why Use SimpliSafe?
Simpli Safe is dedicated to making security simple for people to use. All devices come ready to install and operate using a plug and play system. The self-stick method means that you can attach devices without damaging the home and you can take them with you to use at another residence if you ever relocate. You can add onto the system if and when you ever need to and their customer service has proven helpful and not pushy.
SimplySafe makes it easy to focus on the key issue at hand: safety. If you do happen to experience any problems, you can always contact the customer service center located in the United States but keep in mind that they are only available by phone during normal business hours Monday through Friday so if you run in to an issue on the weekend, it will have to wait. In the event that you are completely unhappy with the system or with the service provided, you can always cancel the service with no problems since there is no contract to get out of. If you cancel within 60 days and return the devices that you purchased, you will also receive a full refund.
If you want an easy to use product without any long term obligation, SimpliSafe is probably the best way to go. Since you install the system yourself, it is also easy to set up the system so that it fits your needs whether you are trying to protect your entire home, or just monitor who is getting into what in your house. Let us know if you found our SimpliSafe reviews helpful. We’re interested to hear if you feel, how should we put this…simply safe? Or rather, simply not so safe? In other words, does this DIY, no contract system measure up to the hype?