So, you were shopping online one day and the next day you get a scary email from the retailer that says your credit card information may have been “compromised” (read: stolen). Yikes! But, do not despair—you can sign up for an identity theft protection plan that allows you to keep a closer eye on your digital footprint. You’ll also be able to reclaim covered costs incurred if something bad does go down while you are covered. Identity Guard® is one of many players in this field. How does it stack up vs. the competition? Let’s find out.
Summary: Identity Guard came in among our top picks for Best Identity Theft Protection Service because it has kept up with the times. It offers a full=featured service to help protect your identity. Find out the details in our review.
Visit Website: Identity Guard
Identity Guard® Key Features
- Customer Service – Available by phone Monday-Friday 8am-11pm EST and Saturday 9am-6pm EST. You can also write to them directly via email or snail mail. No 24/7 support but you can log into your account on their website anytime.
- Insurance – Identity Guard offers a $1 million identity theft insurance** plan. If you do become a victim of identity theft, you’ll have up to $1million in identity theft insurance for expenses that result from identity theft.
- Lost Wallet Protection – If your wallet is ever stolen, or you simply can’t find it, Identity Guard will help you cancel your credit cards and access up to $2,000 from one of your accounts.
- Credit Application Scanning – This is done daily to make sure no one is stealing your identity.
- Credit Score* – With the Total Protection® package your credit scores are updated quarterly so you can keep an eye on it.
- Case Management Assistance – Once a customer notifies Identity Guard that they have been a victim of identity theft, they are assigned a dedicated case manager who is available to assist them 24/7.
- 30-day free trial if you enroll through ASecureLife.com
- Up to $1 million identity theft insurance plan
- Covers more – One of the few identity theft protection services that protects your driver’s license number and vehicle registration plate
- A+ BBB rating
- Intersections Inc., the service provider of Identity Guard, has been in business for 20 years
- Most customers who call in via the phone report only a short wait
- No 24/7 customer service (unless you have an open case), and their email support is very slow. You’ll most likely end up calling in if you have an issue or question that is not answered on their website
- More expensive than other identity theft protection services to cover the added features
- No credit card fraud alerts, except for in certain cases
Packages and Pricing
Below are the different packages available through Identity Guard and what the package contains:
Identity Guard® Essentials
$9.99/month $8.99 for our readers
- SSN monitoring
- Online “Black Market” monitoring
- ID verification alerts
- Account takeover alerts
- Identity theft victim assistance
- Lost wallet protection
- $1 million identity theft insurance
- ID vault securely encrypts and stores your usernames, passwords and credit card information all in one safe place with 1-click access
Identity Guard® Total Protection®
Price: $19.99/month ($16.99/month special for A Secure Life readers)
Everything included in the Essentials package, plus:
- Address change monitoring
- Daily 3-bureau credit monitoring
- Quarterly 3-bureau credit report and score updates*
- 3-bureau credit analyzer
- Account access via mobile app
- Public record monitoring
- PC keyboard encryption software
- PC antivirus software
Identity Guard® kID Sure – Identity Protection for Children
Price: $9.99/month when purchased on its own ($5/month extra when purchased as an add-on)
- Child’s ID footprint report with an analysis
- Public records monitoring
- Social Security Number (SSN) monitoring
- Registered bank accounts monitoring
- Prompt monitoring alerts
- Personal recovery assistance
- Unlimited toll-free customer service
Visit Website: Identity Guard
Is Identity Guard the Right Choice for you?
If you want to review our side-by-side comparison of multiple identity theft protection services check out our large comparison table. It includes a chart to help show you which companies protect what items so you get a better understanding of what each of them can do to help you. Are you already using an identity theft protection service? What made you sign up for it? Was it the Target security breach?
*The scores you receive with Identity Guard® are provided for educational purposes to help you understand your credit. They are calculated using the information contained in your Equifax, Experian and TransUnion credit files. Lenders may use many different credit scoring systems, and the scores you receive with Identity Guard are not the same scores used by lenders to evaluate your credit.
Our site’s mission is to help consumers make more informed purchase decisions. This website accepts financial compensation from some of the companies included in our review which allows us to provide this free service to our users.